1) Maruti Suzuki has declared a lockout at its Maruti plant in Manesar in Haryana, where a senior manager was killed last week in a deadly riot for which more than 90 workers have been arrested. The company had no idea when the factory would reopen, the carmaker's chairman R C Bhargava acknowledged on Saturday
2) Maruti has two plants in Harayana – one in Manesar and one in Gurgaon. The plant where the riots took place produces 1,700 cars a day. The company’s popular Swift and Dzire models are made in this plant.
3) The lockout is costing the company nearly Rs 80 crore a day. The Manesar factory’s total annual capacity of 550,000 cars produces a third of Maruti's output.
4) The carmaker’s chairman, RC Bhargava, said on Saturday that is impossible to import extra vehicles or shift lost production to another plant. "How long it will take? 10 days? 15 days? I don't know," he said on Saturday in his first public remarks following the violence "We'll put all our resources to study and help the authorities but ... I cannot say when we will be able to restart the plant."
5) Maruti officials have denied reports that the company is likely to close the Manesar plant, where the company builds its best-selling Swift hatchback -- the runaway leader in its segment. Chairman Bhargava has said the company will not be able to offset some of the lost production with imports or by increasing productivity at its other factory.
6) More than Rs 3,192 crore was wiped off Maruti's market value on Thursday when its shares slid to their biggest one-day drop in two years. Shares of parent Suzuki Motor Corp fell a total of 5.7 per cent in trading on Thursday and Friday to their lowest level in three and a half years.
7) 24 senior managers are still in hospital with injuries, mainly fractures of their arms and legs, of the 96 initially admitted after the riot. No workers were injured during the violence, Maruti executives said.
8) The riot began after an altercation between workers and managers over a disciplinary incident involving a single worker. The factory's workers' union has accused Maruti officials of starting the violence and using hired thugs to beat workers.
9) Workers at the plant attacked senior officials with iron rods, wooden sticks and unfinished car parts. Police are investigating the factory's entire 3,000-strong workforce and are seeking to press murder charges.
10) Suzuki executives say they are keen to establish Gujarat as their exports hub by 2015. In June 2012, the Gujarat government had allocated around 700 acres for Maruti's proposed plant near Mehsana. Maruti had said it would invest Rs. 4,000 crore to set up the new manufacturing facility in Gujarat by 2015-16.
(with inputs from agencies)